We are the first people in history to live so surrounded by images that attempt to incite our desires, our appetites, our sense of a lack within ourselves; a lack which will be assuaged, an ache which will go away, if we can lay our hands only on that last, perfect, necessary, piece of stuff.
A system in which we all continually want more is not sustainable at our current levels of projected growth. When I say not sustainable, by the way, I'm not using a metaphor – "sustainable" is one of those words which is being hollowed out by overuse. I mean that we will run out of the resources to live like this.
John Lanchester
The week in wildlife: a rescued orangutan, the chonkiest bear and a barn
owl’s triumph
-
This week’s best wildlife photographs from around the world
Continue reading...
1 day ago



No comments:
Post a Comment